04 November 2009
WHAT: The Cartagena Summit on a Mine-Free World, or second five-year Review Conference of the Mine Ban Treaty
WHEN: 29 November-4 December 2009 Members of the press are welcome to attend the entire meeting and accreditation is required. High-level segment with Ministers and Heads of States: 3-4 December
WHERE: Julio César Turbay Ayala Convention Center, Cartagena, Colombia
- More than 1,000 participants from across the world, including numerous Ministers and Heads of State;
- Governments, United Nations agencies, the International Committee of the Red Cross and international organizations;
- Mine action experts, landmine survivors and campaigners gathered under the banner of the International Campaign to Ban Landmines.
ABOUT: The Cartagena Summit on a Mine-Free World is a milestone event where states and the mine ban community will review the status of the Mine Ban Treaty and set out steps that need to be taken to create a mine-free world. A rich program of side events will shed light on the landmine problem. Highlights and photos opportunities include:
- visits to rehabilitation programs in mine-affected communities
- 5 km race in the streets of Cartagena
- international quad rugby match
- discussion between mine survivors and Colombian signer Juanes (open to Summit participants and the media)
The Summit is convened by the United Nations Secretary-General and hosted by the government of Colombia. Ambassador Susan Eckey of Norway is the President-Designate of the Summit.
ICBL INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES: Campaigners, mine action experts and mine survivors from some 50 countries can provide interviews on landmines in all geographical regions, on mine clearance, victim assistance, mine risk education, and stories of survival. Jody Williams, 1997 Nobel Peace Prize Co-Laureate, will also be present.
ICBL CONTACT: Amelie Chayer, ICBL Communications Officer, Mobile: +57 320 201 7721 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.icbl.org/cartagenasummit
MEDIA ACCREDITATION: Laila Rodriguez, Implementation Support Unit, Tel.: +57 311 585 1942 / Email: email@example.com / www.cartagenasummit.gov.co/registry